Thursday 8 April 2010

Lackan Bog

I’ve finally sorted through the photos I took last month at Lackan Bog. It’s an incredibly beautiful wetland area – formerly a raised bog and nowadays the largest single block of lowland peat remaining in County Down – and also one of Ireland’s most important dragonfly sites. The path runs along a ‘bog rampart’, an old road through the bog which would have provided easy access for cutting the turf. From this raised causeway are wonderful views across the pools and wooded areas of birch and willow.

There are literally thousands of birch trees everywhere you look, so I was in my element! I hope to return again very soon, as it would be an amazing place to photograph throughout the seasons.




Continuing the birch theme, I thought I’d include this photo of a gorgeous birch grove in Tollymore Forest Park - more on Tollymore another time!


(Photos: Pam)

No comments: